July 25, 2012

Think, Write, Delete

Dear Little Sis,
Today I did something for the first time, I wrote a letter to my grandson. Oh, I've written him many times via Facebook and Texting, but this is the first time I've actually written him a letter. I had to. He is now stationed at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas and is in his first week of Basic Military Training and the only way to correspond with him is to write a letter. I had already begun to "create" his letter when yesterday I received his address from his mom.

The reason I use the word "create" is because it was more than a letter, I decided to write it in a newsletter format. You know that I've been doing newsletters for the past 10 years at my employment, but this newsletter took on an importance beyond all those I created for my work. My husband couldn't believe how much time I spent writing, searching for graphics, and looking on my Thesaurus for just the right word, all the while imagining how happy he'll be when he receives it. Often these young recruits will read and reread letters from home since its the only communication they have for weeks while they are being tested both physically and mentally for the first time in their lives. All these thoughts ran through my head and challenged to even work harder on my project.

I decided to keep my Newsletter to one page, since I was purposing to make this a weekly issue. After writing about family news events I had a few inches at the bottom of the page. I wasn't sure what to add, maybe a picture, a joke, or leave it blank. Then I thought about the opportunity I had before me...a chance to share my heart and leave my grandson with some of my thoughts that he might even remember, so I entitled the article "Granni Thoughts". I decided to share my thoughts on the significance of writing a letter and how permanent it can be in the world where most correspondences are shredded or deleted. Below is "Granni Thoughts"

*  *  *
In the old days, everyone who was separated by distance would write letters. I remember my mom telling me of when my dad was in the army and the letters they would write each other. These letters kept them in each others thoughts, made them feel close & were kept for a lifetime. Imagine that, words and thoughts remembered years later. In these days of Texting, Facebook, Chatting, etc. where all our communication is instant and then instantly gone with a click, none of our thoughts, ideas or expressions remain in the future, all “deleted”. Writing letters is a wonderful experience, it teaches us to think about the words we are going to use because we know that they will last. Maybe this experience will also help us to speak more carefully, for those words can also last a lifetime. You’re always in my thoughts & prayers, and I’m looking forward to your letters that I will keep for a lifetime!  Love you much, Granni 

No comments:

Post a Comment