June 10, 2012

Her "Final Lap"


Dear Big Sis,

When my granddaughter invited me to go swimming at the neighbor's house yesterday afternoon, I had no idea that I would become a "surrogate" grandmother to a 6 year old, beautiful chocolate Labrador  named "Princess"...Her owners are on their vacation in Mexico and left Princess and her brother, Jack in my grandson's care. They believed that her health was improving before they had left and they also had installed camera's to monitor her in their absence.  My daughter had informed me that "Princess" had cancer but she neglected to tell me that she was in her most advanced stage of this despicable, cruel disease.

As I approached the swimming pool, I was greeted by Jack who was barking uncontrollably and nervously.  In the corner of the house, on the porch is where I first laid eyes on" Princess."  At that moment, she did not even have the strength to raise her head up to greet me and my heart just sank with a familiar heaviness of the forthcoming dread that was inevitable...

I decided to get into the swimming pool where her brother Jack followed and went in for a little dip but when he got out, he continued on with his non-stop barking as if he were trying to tell me something that I didn't already know and sense.  As I was trying to calm Jack down, I noticed that Princess had gingerly gotten up and was slowly making her way to the pool.  It took every last bit of her failing strength to get to the first step of the pool.  As she was getting into the water, she glanced up at me for a few seconds as if she were letting me know that this would be her final lap to the other side of pool.  She struggled every inch of the way but remarkably made her way back to the first step. She could go no further.  I went over to her to hold her, gently stroked her beautiful brown fur and spoke to her as only a grandmother to a grandchild or granddog would do to reassure her that everything would be alright, very soon....I felt a very intense bond towards this amazing creature that I had just met. Not once did she ever whimper a sound from the obvious pain that she was enduring. She displayed such amazing dignity and sheer courage as her imminent death was approaching...Since her family was unfortunately not present, I felt like I was giving her the "okay" to GO...In retrospect, I only wish that I would have had the courage to stay with her throughout the night but I was too overcome by my emotions having lost two brothers to cancer.

I truly believe that God puts us right where we need to be on any given day or time so that we may experience and learn what HE wants us to learn....I prayed throughout the night for God to spare her. God answered my prayer and took Princess home.  The suffering has finally ceased for her.  Her brother Jack is grieving and crying for his sister. We are all grieving for her as well, along with feelings of relief for her suffering. Blessed are they who mourn, for they shall be comforted. Matthew 5:4

 I have learned that it doesn't matter how long you know someone, even if it was just for one day...Love and compassion for all is God's way of helping us through on our journey or our "final lap"..... Rest in Perfect Peace, "Princess"...... You will be remembered, loved and missed!!!

Big Sis, since you raised chocolate Labs previously, I knew you would understand her greatness and that they are true family members.

Love, Hugs and Blessings,
Little Sis

The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
Psalms 34:18


1 comment:

  1. Dear Little Sis...
    What a touching story! It was certainly God's timing that you were there for your grandson and for Princess. What a beautiful animal. Yes, my heart did especially go out when I saw that she was a Chocolate Lab. The picture of Princess brought back over 20 years of memories of raising these wonderful dogs.

    You have had so much grief in your life and now this experience. Your insights from this were so heartwarming. Please consider sharing this when you come into contact with others going through grief, it will bring them comfort for God gave you a wonderful story to share that will encourage them.
    Love, Big Sis

    ReplyDelete