April 16, 2018

“My Thyroid Lobectomy” Surgery

Dear Big Sis,

About 6 months ago, I went to get a sonogram of my thyroid which indicated a 2cm nodule on the the right lobe.  My primary doctor sent me to an ENT for further review which resulted in a FN (fine needle) biopsy. The results came back as “indeterminate” which meant they were not sure if it was benign or malignant. The next step was to send my “cell draw” to Afirma Genomic testing for further genetic review. It took another week to get the results back which indicated the same term, “indeterminate” which meant it was still not clear with the findings. My ENT doctor said he would have to remove the right lobe in order to find out if it was malignant or not. He gave me a 40% chance, either way. I was completely in shock and very apprehensive about having my throat “cut” open...

I was so distraught that I postponed the inevitable, requested to have another sonogram in 3 months and scheduled an appointment for a second opinion. The deciding factors were: the sonogram revealed the nodule was still present plus another one had appeared and the second opinion concurred with my physician to remove the right lobe. I just sat as I listened to the doctor and sobbed. I was so hoping for an alternative solution.

As the surgery date was scheduled, I struggled with my PTSD feelings of deep-seeded fear and dread which stemmed from my youngest brother losing his battle to oral cancer. I had to really dig deep and remain in constant prayer for strength to endure the surgery plus the outcome of results. I also had an army of “Prayer Warriors” who provided comfort and encouragement. It was a huge comfort to me that you, Big Sis and my youngest sister had the same procedure which was instrumental in giving me the detailed information I needed to muster up the courage to proceed with the surgery.

On February 22, 2018, I was admitted to the hospital and my surgery began at 7:30 a.m. It took approximately 1 1/2 hours and then I was in recovery for a few more hours. I was supposed to stay in the hospital for 23 hours for monitoring but the doctor advised my daughter that I should be released after a total of 6 hours due to the higher risk of contracting the flu. The surgery went well and the doctor informed my daughter that we would have the pathology results in a week. I have a vague recollection of that first day because I was so “drugged up” with anesthesia plus morphine shots. I just wish the discharge nurse would have taken me to the restroom before booting me out the front door. Evidently, I had an accident and my daughter needed to request a pad for me to sit on in her vehicle. I was unaware of any feelings of embarrassment or humiliation at that point.

The first night was really rough. I was so severely nauseated from the anesthesia and afraid of getting dry heaves that might tear my stitches apart. My daughter had to walk me to the bathroom each time due to the dizziness. I was also having difficulty swallowing without pain but when I survived the first 48 hours and the nausea subsided, I felt very hopeful that I would make it through plus a huge sense of relief. I do not tolerate pain medication but I was able to withstand the pain without it. I’m not sure what caused it but I developed hives plus I was allergic to the electrodes that they attach to your chest during surgery which was more bothersome than the incision itself.


One week after the surgery, I had an appointment with my ENT who removed my sutures and told me  to see him in 3 months. I was instructed to apply Mederma with sunscreen on my incision site 3 times a day for 6 months. It is a very tender area. It has been a constant challenge to adjust how it feels when I swallow. Each day that went into the following weeks was an improvement. Although it has been 7 weeks already, I’m still experiencing that strange sensation which feels like a lump in my throat. They say in time that it will go away. I’m certainly looking forward to that day.

I am extremely thankful that the surgery is behind me and that the results were benign. I am thankful for all of the love, support and encouragement from ALL of my loved ones. I will keep you posted on my continued progress and healing process. I will be following up with an Endocrinologist to assess my numbers. I may have to take a low dose of medication to support my thyroid.

I’m hoping that my experience with having the Thyroid Lobectomy might help someone who might be struggling with the decision to have it done. The thought of it plus the location of incision was much more overwhelming than the actual procedure. I truly believed that God was in complete control and that he would see me through and HE did.  God is SO GOOD, all the time.

Much love, hugs and blessings...Always
Little Sis






No comments:

Post a Comment